Pages

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Adoption Profile Book

dear
We just finished our adoption profile book, and it should be in production as I type! If you are not familiar with the adoption process, the profile book is like a Family Album on steroids. You include pictures of your family, friends, church, and home. You include some facts about things that you like to do as a family, and things that make your family yours. Yeah...its a pretty big deal!

While putting the book together, there were times that I felt that I was "marketing" our family. Part of you wants to make sure that your book is "better" than the others. God quickly dealt with me about those feelings. Adoption isn't a competition. If anything we are united with the other families by a shared calling. We should be praying for each other as we go through this process. God is the one who places children in families, not a birth mother or agency.

The most difficult part of creating the profile book was writing the "Dear Birth Parent" letter. It's so hard to write to someone that you have never met, that will be making such a life changing decision (for ALL of the people involved). You want to convey your gratitude and respect for this woman who put her child's life above her own, but I don't think there are words that can even do that. I found myself looking for examples of other birth parent letters that couple's have written before. But in the end, after much prayer, I just had to write from the my heart. I trust that God will use my words to whoever it is that is carrying our child.

So that's where were are now. The book in production. It should be at the agency by the end of next week, and they will begin showing it to the mothers.


2 comments:

Amanda Dengler said...

YAYAY!! that is all.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you guys were adopting - that's SO exciting!!! Simon and I would really like to adopt later. I'll be watching your blog to stay up-to-date.