Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

I could just buy them but....

Everything is better when it's homemade....even croutons. We were out of croutons recently and everyone knows that no salad is complete without croutons. So what's a girl to do??? Make them herself of course! So that's what I did, and I haven't brought croutons since. They are really easy to make using ingredients that you almost always have on hand: bread, spices, and olive oil. I also like the fact that I can make them 100% whole wheat.

Here we go......


Start with a few pieces of bread. Whatever you have will work just fine.



Cut the bread into 1/2 inch pieces.



Pour 1/4 cup olive oil into a bowl, and add whatever spices you want. I used italian seasoning, garlic salt, pepper, salt, onion powder and garlic powder.



Put the bread in the bowl and toss to coat it with the oil and spices.



Spread onto baking sheet. I use a Pampered Chef Stone. LOVE IT!
Bake for 15-20 minutes at 325 degrees. They need to bake at a low temp. for a longer time because you want all of the oil to cook out without toasting them too much.



When they're finished they should be golden brown and crispy!!!


I know it takes a little more effort than just opening a bag of croutons, but it is well worth it. Everything is better when its homemade!

3 comments:

Amanda Dengler said...

i have a tip for people wanting to make a huge batch of croutons: (from growing up watching my parents prepare the bread for communion at church)
freeze the loafs of bread and use an electric knife to cute it into cubes--pretty basic, right? but it makes for fast cutting, and the bread doesn't smush. perfect little cubes.

Unknown said...

I have tasted these croutons on various occasions...please contact me for results.....MMMMM...THE BEST!!!!!

Callie M said...

:) Thanks for the recipe! I made homemade cream of mushroom soup on Tuesday because I was tired of not being able to make any casseroles! I've got too containers in my freezer now!