Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

homemade play dough


Thing 1 is getting to the age where he needs some new activities. As a kid I loved play dough! So I thought he would too! Instead of buying it, I decided to make it...because I have real issues with buying things that I could make instead. I'm just like that. Making play dough is really no different than cooking. If you like to cook, you probably have all of the ingredients in your kitchen already.

This is what you will need:

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon oil
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • food coloring
Mix all of the ingredients, except for the food coloring (I just mixed mine right in the pot so that there would be less to clean). Once you have it mixed pretty well, add the food coloring. Stir over medium heat, making sure to scrape the bottom.

It will start out pretty runny, but don't freak out. Keep stirring and it will firm up quickly. Stir until you start to see the dough come away from the edges of the pan and it starts to become difficult to stir.

Plop it out onto a floured surface and knead it until it is smooth like play dough.

***Be careful b/c it is still pretty hot at this point. If you are doing this with your children, be sure to knead it until it is cool enough for them to handle it***


Once you're done, you can store it in air tight containers, or plastic bags!!!

This will make about 6 oz of play dough

4 comments:

Katie Geeson Photography said...

I don't have a baby yet and want to make some to play with. I bet Josh would love it too! lol.

Unknown said...

This is some good stuff

Amanda Dengler said...

what kind of food coloring is that?

my mom has a play dough recipe that you use koolaid to color it, and then it smells good too. but you still add all that salt to deter the children that think it smells good enough to eat. the color isn't as bright as yours though.

yours looks great!

I Love Pretty Little Things said...

Your blog is so fun and full of great tips! I am so glad that I stumbled over here. I will be checking back,
Have a wonderful day,
Joyce